Sunday, May 10, 2009

Make Steampunk USB drives!

I've ordered the usb drives already... Just waiting for them to come in. Steampunk isn't a style that is just the metals and steam. In my opinion, they have to somewhat function like how they look like they would function. So my plan here is to make a usb drive with a spinning gear inside.

5/14/09
I have ran into a miscalculation. The motor does not spin.
The terminals that power the LED in the flash drive breathes. ranging from 1.5v~3v.
1.5v is enough to run the motor but it probably does not have enough amperage.
The only way the motor runs is by connecting the motor directly to the 5v power supply on the usb terminals.
The solution I can think of right now is to use a transistor to trigger the switch with the LED power.

5/17/09
The USB drive is completed!

6/01/09
The motor failed to spin for the second time already.
It gets stuck sometimes and it needs more power to run when it does.
I think i will add a reset button on the usb drive which will feed the motor the full 5volts.